Sunday, July 1, 2012

Spinal Surgery, 2 Scary Words

So Momma and I were trading off days of who would sleep in Daddy's room and who would go home and shower and check on my brother and make sure the house was okay in case anyone wanted to come stay with us and visit Daddy. Today was my turn, today was the day of Daddy's spinal surgery. When you get surgery to your torso, you are not allowed to eat or drink for hours and hours beforehand. So Daddy was pretty miserable, and I felt that I had to leave the room when I ate so that he would not get jealous. Daddy was supposed to be the first spinal surgery of the day, but some poor man came into shock trauma at 3am with bullet wounds and bumped Daddy's surgery back. It was now noon though, and Daddy and I were getting very ancy. Then, finally a nurse came in and said we needed to get ready to go down to anesthesiology. Daddy was happy to hear this, but then his facial expressions changed drastically. I think now that it was time for surgery, all the risks and complications started rolling through his head. As soon as the nurse left, I went to his bedside. I took his hand. because it hurt him too much to hug him, and asked if he was ok...





He just looked at me and told me he was scared, I didn't even stutter before I said, "Daddy, I'm really scared too, but this surgery could help you walk again and will remove a lot of tumors, I'm not going to let any of the doctors hurt you, I promise." He seemed to get some kind of comfort from that, but I just stayed holding his hand and lucky for us our Gibbs was on TV again. We know most of the lines to the episodes that are reruns, and reciting them together seemed to make our fears disappear just enough that we could smile at each other.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment